Old February 6th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

Default New to restoration, looking to do a 1st gen GTO

On Feb 5, 8:06*pm, George Patterson > wrote:
> es330td wrote:
> > I know I am going to need
> > tools, sources for parts, money, manuals and a project car.

> Tools can be bought anywhere. Parts are another matter. the place to start is to
> pull up Google and type in "+pontiac +antique +parts" without the quotes. When I
> tried that, the first entry was something called "Classic Car Parts Giant" that
> looks like it has about anything you would need. These outfits will also have
> manuals, and the originals come up on EBay frequently.
>
> Once you get your car and know what year you have, haunt EBay. Hit it once a
> week or more. Let's say you have a '65 Goat. Type in "65 GTO" into the search
> window, including the quotation marks. Also try "1965 GTO". No matter what
> exotic item you need, one will show up on EBay eventually.
>
> If you can locate one, get a cross-reference for parts so that you know what
> parts were common to other Pontiac models. If you're haunting EBay for some odd
> part, it's handy to know that it also came on other models or other years..
> Sometimes the auto parts sites have this sort of thing (they do for my Ford).
>
> If you need an esoteric tool, some auto parts stores do tool rental.
>
> George Patterson
> * * I worry that the person who thought up Muzac may be thinking up
> * * something else.

Also look for perts used on similiar caars made by GM/ My nephew has
an Olds that I keep callign a Pontiac as I can't tell it from a GTO.
eBay also has a way to list your desires and you will be notified when
it show up.I haven't used it, so I can't say how i works.