Old January 28th 08, 05:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

Default Audi A4 "left dipped headlight" problem

On Jan 27, 11:59 pm, mike > wrote:
> The left headlight of my 2006 Audi A4 quattro has this annoying -- and
> dangerous -- problem:
> 1. The left headlight flickers
> 2. It then turns itself off
> 3. The message "left dipped headlight" appears
> 4. The message is changed to a sign indicating that the lightbulb has
> failed.
>
> If I turn the light off (Note: We're talking about driving at night
> here) and turn it back on again, the light will become normal again,
> for about a few minutes and then the cycle repeats itself.
>
> This problem is intermittent. It has been occurring a lot recently
> with the cold weather. I can't tell for sure whether it is
> temperature related.
>
> My Audi dealer said that Audi knows about this problem but doesn't
> know how to fix it -- changing the light bulb doesn't solve the
> problem.
>
> Has anyone encounter this problem and get Audi to fix it?
>
> ... Mike

Is the car still under warranty?

You need to start going up the ladder to Audi of America. The dealer
may be saying that, but I am sure that's not what Audi wants them to
say.

My '04 has gone through several turn-signal bulbs and 2 low-beam bulbs
(non-Xenon) in 54,000 miles, which I think is a high rate of usage,
frankly. Not a big deal, but the bulbs are a pain to change,
considering you have to remove the entire headlight unit to change the
low beams and turn signals.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA