Old February 3rd 05, 08:02 PM

Default Fuel pressure issue - 95 Astro - please help

Can someone please help me figure this out? I am really stuck.

I have a 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK ASTRO VAN 2WD
6 Cylinders 262 W 4.3L CPI. 105,000 miles

Symptoms:
The van is cutting out like it is running out of fuel while driving.

I let the van warm up first before a test drive. It drives okay (not
great) at first, then it starts acting like it is running out of gas.
It bogs down and stalls when I accelerate. I tried flooring it and it
wants to die. This problem is progressive meaning it is getting worse;
now it happens after just a couple miles of driving. The problem will
go away (van drives much better) after turning off the van and then
back on.

History:
Fuel pump quit working over new years. I replaced and it drove fine.
I drove one 300 mile trip then another 300 miles of city driving with
no problems.

It got real cold (irrelevant?). I drove for 25 miles with no issues.
I filled up with gas (irrelevant?) after work and drove 10 miles and it
started acting up.

The problem got worse over the next couple days (60 miles city
driving).

I changed the fuel filter which was clogged and appeared to be the
original filter. It seemed to run fine. I drove several very short
trips 5 miles which may have been too short to notice symptoms. I
filled up again, then drove 15 miles.

It acted worse than ever.

I checked the fuel pressure. It was about 62psi with the pump running
but dropped to 6psi when not running.

I replaced the CPI unit and the nut kit (fuel lines). The fuel
regulator was leaking. I could see where the gas had cleaned the
inside of the plenum.

I retested fuel pressure. It was 62psi with the pump running but
dropped to 22psi with the pump off. My Haynes manual said it should
only drop 3-10psi with the key off.

I road tested the van and it has the same symptoms.

Shouldn't I be able to see or smell the gas that bleeds off? I
don't see any gas (I will double check tonight).

Now I do not know what to do. I am stuck. Can anyone offer any
suggestion?