Old May 8th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Hughes[_2_]

Default Timing belt question

"miker" wrote:

> When I first started reading this group I remember this subject coming
> up. It was said that the water pumps often start to fail near 100k and
> all the same stuff has to come off, so do the belt and the water pump
> between 80k and 100k.
>
> (No experience myself with this, just remembered it as sounding
> sensible.)
>
> miker

I changed my timing belt somewhere in the 75-80k mile range. Unfortunately
I didn't know to do the water pump too. The water pump went about 30k
miles later.. so I got a new water pump and a new timing belt. If you're
doing one, always do the other. I have about 60k miles on the "new" water
pump and timing belt, and plan to replace them when they have about 100k
miles on them.

-Scott