Old October 30th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Default Help with 1989 Cherokee XJ LTD rough idle and acceleration

NT wrote:
> Hi Doug:
>
> Thanks for your response. It's been several years, but not that many
> Km's ago - probably about 45k Km's.
>
> I wouldn't expect a fuel filter to be fine, then 30 minutes later be
> clogged enough to start causing problems. I don't know - can say
> I've ever had a fuel filter problem before (that I knew of).

They do that. The filter will pass fuel at the proper rate up till
the point it gets too clogged. Usually it shows as a lack of power
or pinging under load/full throttle.
http://revbeergoggles.com/badgas/

I change my filter every 10,000 miles and it's astonishing what junk
can come out of it.

The other possibility is heat-soak related. That can be a failing
sensor or even the coil. When my coil died the engine would run
when cold but would sputter and buck when restarted warm. Finally
it just stopped. Oddly, the coil ohmed out just fine. But I threw
another coil on simply because I couldn't find another reason
why it wouldn't start.

Worst off if you get a new coil, you have a spare.

The CPS sensor can also exhibit heat related failure. At least on
my ZJ it's on the exhaust side of the engine just behind the downpipe.
The only real way to know if that sensor is having problems is with
a scope.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks