Old July 30th 18, 11:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

Arlen Holder > wrote:
>On 30 Jul 2018 06:57:35 GMT, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> This is exactly how tires blow out when they are underinflated. You say that
>> she checked the pressure last week, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a nail
>> or sidewall puncture causing the tire to lose pressure slowly.

>Wow. I wasn't expecting someone to say "underinflated" especially since she
>told me she inflates them to 40psi even though the door sticker I had her
>read says 29 psi. So, if anything, she would have been overinflated.

Overinflation is just as bad, but I don't know how overinflated tires
fail because I have not really seen any of those. Underinflation is much
more common.

Overinflation also puts undue stress on the sidewall, but not in the same
way.

>> Tires are wear items. You replace them now and then, you check them often,
>> and sometimes they just fail. The government is not likely to be able to do
>> much about that.

>I have had many flats, but I've never seen a tire do that.
>
>The AAA guy said to her (according to her) that there must have been
>something wrong with the tire. He checked her spare before putting it on
>and he said it was good (where the spare would have been checked with the
>other tires last week and where I had repaired her spare with a patchplug
>about six months ago).

He's likely right. See any dry-rot cracks on the other tires? See any
sidewall damage anywhere?

>At that time (we can look up the date of that thread), three of her five
>tires were patched by me from the inside - but she confirmed this is not
>one of them (I write on the tire with grease pen when I repair them and she
>hated those markings because they were on the outside sidewall so it's
>confirmed I never touched this particular tire except to fill it with air).

So she's a person who is prone to running over nails frequently?
--scott