Old December 7th 10, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Default Auto Exects say Car of the Future wont be cheap

m6onz5a > wrote in news:509fa942-86b8-4c50-90bb-
:

http://www.dailyjobcuts.com

>> Prices of gasoline is up too.
>> cuhulin

> Yep, the prices keep going up for cars.. Never seen them come down.
> Except if you bought something from India or China.

Car prices went down like a rock from about 1908 to about 1930, when the
technology was very new. This is what happens to ALL new technologies.

An automotive magazine back in the '80s (R&T?) did a study to see how
prices compared over a period between (I think) 1970 and 1985. Many things
were cheaper in '85 than they were in '70, but cars had held steady: when
adjusted for inflation, cars cost the same in '85 as they did in '70. The
authors attributed this phenomenon to the cost of the many regulations that
had been enacted in between those years.

I've read that North American regulations and legislation (plus the current
fad for multiple airbags) add some $3-4,000 to the price of a new car, and
that's the same whether the car is a Kia or a Lexus.

--
Tegger