Old December 7th 10, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Default Auto Exects say Car of the Future wont be cheap

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:idje9n$npf$1
@panix2.panix.com:

> John S. > wrote:
>>On Dec 6, 12:33=A0pm, wrote:
>>> But, adjusted for inflation, how much money would a new 1914 Ford Model
>>> T car cost today?
>>> A U.S.Dollar in 1900 would buy a lot more than it does today.
>>> cuhulin

>>The inflation adjusted price of a Model T today means nothing because
>>there is not a comparably unequipped car to compare it to. However,
>>if we inflation adjust the $550 1914 Model T to 2010 prices we have a
>>price of roughly $12,000. That is for a car with little more than
>>seats, doors, a 2 speed transmission, and a single transmission drum
>>brake. We have thankfully progressed.

> The thing is... there's more of a difference between the Model T and the
> Model A, than between the Model A and the current model Ford Focus.

I'd love to see your point-by-point comparison of those two.

> There's been a lot of progression, but the progression has slowed.

It has slowed for two main reasons:
1) the technology is mature and highly-developed, so changes are
incremental;
2) North American tort, regulations, and legislation essentially prohibit
the manufacture of anything really different.

--
Tegger