Old October 25th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

Default Thought about returning in a c5

> Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
> fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy. My 93 car had a
> lot of flex is it was a convertible. The 96 was much better and real
> fun to drive.
> This 00 just made me feel like I was on a ride rather then part of the
> car. I was .... kind of scared and did not think it would be fun to
> really drive. You know what I mean drive drive, not go for a lunch
> date with the mrs. but take some turns and really drive. Dont get me
> wrong, it had raw power and if not for traction control, I would have
> had to pay for tires. Top down was great, stereo was fine and I love
> heads up display. Plenty to like.

I have a '96 and an '03. I know what you mean about the handling.
The 03 feels very much like you are perched on it. The 96 feels like
you are snuggled into it. The 96 GSC tires are slightly stickier than
the EMT's on the 03. I think that's why the Z06's don't use the
EMT's. The 96 is heavier with more body roll but slightly better
pitch and yaw stability in corners and much better yaw stability when
braking, especially on uneven pavement.
Awhile back I read a comment from someone who raced C5's
professionally. As I recall, he said that you have to just have faith
that the C5 will get through the corner as you don't get much
feedback.
I drive both the 96 and the 03 every week and through the same
turns. The best description I can give of the difference is that at
50 MPH on a typical cloverleaf loop, the 03 is busier than the 96.