Old September 11th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kwiksilver

Default Question on 1966 Mustang 3 speed transmission

> GUEST wrote:
> Hi - a friend of mine is looking at buying a 1966 289 V8 Mustang
> with the 3 speed
>
> Someone is telling him these are not very strong transmissions and

> avoid the car - I thought V8 mustangs used the same unit as most of
> the other small block fords and that this tranny is pretty strong
>
> I'm not sure if someone is thinking of the English ford

transmission
> that they used with some of the early 6 cylinder cars ( and I think

> read somewhere that unit was a 4 speed) which I understand was not

> strong tranny
>
> Anyway if someone could clarify on this point that would be
> appreciated - it is a nice car and it would be too bad for him to

miss
> out on it because of some bad advice
>
> Thanks

The Ford 3 Speed used in the Mustangs is a great
transmission. It will take a lot of abuse and come back for more. My
first Mustang was a 66 289 3 speed. It never broke or complained. And
it had every reason to do so.

If your friend picks this Stang up and wants to replace it, go with a
five speed. The toploader, if you can find one, will be real
expensive. Ford doesn't offer parts anymore for rebuilding it. For
what it would cost to obtain a toploader and rebuild it, you could
get a good 5 speed.

By the way, I have to 60's Mustangs, a 66 and a 68 Shelby GT 350.
Toploaders in both at this time. Everytime I drive the Shelby, I am
wanting to put it in 5th gear. I am so use to the 6 speed in my
3000GT VR4.