Old August 31st 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jan

Default Question on 1966 Mustang 3 speed transmission

wrote:
> Hi - a friend of mine is looking at buying a 1966 289 V8 Mustang
> with the 3 speed
>
> Someone is telling him these are not very strong transmissions and to
> avoid the car - I thought V8 mustangs used the same unit as most of
> the other small block fords and that this tranny is pretty strong
>
> I'm not sure if someone is thinking of the English ford transmission
> that they used with some of the early 6 cylinder cars ( and I think I
> read somewhere that unit was a 4 speed) which I understand was not a
> strong tranny
>
> Anyway if someone could clarify on this point that would be
> appreciated - it is a nice car and it would be too bad for him to miss
> out on it because of some bad advice
>
> Thanks

Is that a 'green dot' tranny?
I have a 66 with that one, and it was trashed when we got the car.
I don't know what the PO did to it, but the car would only move in reverse.

I tore it down and found a totally worn out, burnt clutch pack, which I
replaced with new parts. I added new reverse and fwd bands, and adjusted
them properly. I replaced clutch pack piston seals and shimmed the
clutch pack to spec.

Still doesn't go forward. The only part I did not open was the tailshaft
assembly. I am a novice, and I was under the impression that there's
nothing in there that could cause something like this. So I didn't look
in there.

All this time, the reverse works like a champ.

I'm stumped. What I did with the center section of the tranny, was a
piece of cake, very easy to do. Just need to know tolerances and have
the right parts.

Jan