Old December 22nd 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default How to bleed a JMC hydraulic clutch linkage?

Howard Juneau wrote:
> I haven't been able to get a JMC hydraulic clutch linkage to bleed properly.
> Unfortunately, I have no documentation for this unit, and find none online.
> If you've had any success in bleeding on of these units, please post the
> procedure you used. Thanks!

Some people claim to bleed their kit no prob, some claim it's not
possible and give up. I don't know what it is or why, but I've seen
both kinds of posts numerous times.

I have done it at least five times and each has been a little
different. But the main commonality is that it takes alot more pumping
than you ever thought possible, if bleeding brakes is your frame of
reference. Just one caveat -- my personal experience is with a '65
Mustang, '65 bell housing, '96 Mustang GT T-5 with Medatronic iron
bearing retainer, JMC master cylinder, braided flex hose, McLeod
hydraulic throwout bearing, and McLeod diaphragm clutch. Just so
you'll know. But I've bled this setup installed in the car, as well as
with the TO bearing/slave cylinder assembly sitting on a footstool with
C clamps to hold the TO bearing down, and I have like I said
experienced a slightly different process each time. But the main
commonality is to keep at it longer than you ever thought possible.

Here's my procedu with the system assembled and the bleeder screw
open (which in the case of a hydraulic TO bearing is at the end of a
hose -- here's a pic:
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...-1400-30_w.jpg
), fill the fluid reservoir. Stick a clear polypropylene tube on the
bleeder screw and route it to your drip pan or whatever. Pump ten
times -- which you can do by hand -- then pull the pedal up to its
at-rest position. When you do this you will see the fluid level drop
in the reservoir. Refill the reservoir and repeat. Pretty soon fluid
will come out the bleeder screw, so at this point you should close the
bleeder after each set of pumping, while you're pulling the pedal up
and refilling the reservoir. The reopen it for the pumping. You repeat
these 10-pump sets 20, 30, maybe 40 times, until you see no air bubbles
in the polypropylene tube. Then do it some more. You can't overbleed
the system, and you will be amazed how many more sets you can do and
still see bubbles.

180 Out