Old October 7th 04, 01:03 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jeff > wrote:
> I have a 2000 528i. Once in a while I will glance down and see the
> temperature guage in the red. My first reaction was the car was
> overheating, but then suddenly the needle went back down in the normal
> area. Most of the time when this happens I had just started the car. It
> happened yesterday while I was stuck in traffic. I know the engine was
> not overheating becuase the needle will go down very fast.

This is because the gauge doesn't read temperature directly. It is
controlled by the engine ECU, and reads exactly in the middle over a wide
range of (safe) temperature. As soon as that limit is exceeded it will
climb quickly, and fall quickly too when the temperature drops.

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.