Old March 14th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default IRacing Pricing

On Mar 12, 12:12*am, alexti > wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:05:41 +0100, Asgeir Nesoen wrote:
>
> > All this comes from reading the Gs you pull, and this can never be
> > simulated per se; we'll have to wait for that back-of-your-skull
> > connector to simulate that.

> I wonder how much one feels G directly and how much through the pressure
> on the body parts. The latter can probably simulated relatively easily -
> it's not necessary to have 1:1 pressure scale.

I would guess that for race driving the vast majority of G-force
sensing occurs through tactile pressure on the driver's body, and very
little of the 'inner-ear' acceleration sensing comes into play. I
believe I've read studies to that effect, but can't site them off the
top of my head.

You can test it yourself next time you are driving your street car.
Pay attention to how much you feel small changes in lateral G's on
your body. I can feel changes in body sensations well below where I
think my inner sense of balance comes into play.

In fact, though, it's not always 'seat-of-the-pants' feedback that you
are getting. At low G's you actually get more sensation in your back
as your upper body is pulled sideways. In my experience I don't start
feeling much sensation in the seat until reaching higher G's. This
concept is integrated into the response curves of my GS-3 motion seat.

Pat Dotson
UltraForce Simulations LLC
http://www.ultraforcesim.com