Old November 6th 17, 01:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do buthave never done?

On 6/11/2017 6:57 PM, wrote:
> [...]

>>> buildup, ot they have "hard spots" due to metalurgical inclusions

>> The only person who says their rotors warped that I will ever trust is one
>> who measured the warp just like you'd measure head warp.
>>
>> If they haven't measured it, it's not happening.
>> And nobody measures it.
>> So it didn't happen.
>>
>> It "could" happen. But it doesn't (on street cars).
>> The problem is the temperature never gets hot enough.
>>
>> Now they can be "warped" from the factory; but that's different (and rare).
>>
>>> Wrong tool. The one I'm talking about has tabs that fit into the
>>> notches on the piston face to "thread" it in as you squeese. Can
>>> sometimes get away with the $17 "cube" but the kit you KNOW is going
>>> to work starts at about $35 for one of questionable quality, and goes
>>> up very quickly from there (and IT won't turn back Mazda rear calipers
>>> - they use a different system

>> I think we're talking about two different kinds of disc brake systems.
>> I had the Nissan 300Z which had the rear disc also as the rear parking
>> brake, but my bimmer has the rear disc and a separate rear parking brake.

> Really crappy system - sorry.
>

> I've worked on everything from a moskovitch to a Rolls, with Jags,
> Rovers, Toyotas, Fiats, Ladas, VWs, Nissans as well as just about
> every North American brand
>>
>> The piston arrangement is different as is the way to retract them.
>>
>> You don't *twist* pistons in disc brakes that I own that don't have the
>> parking brake as part of the disc brake itself.

> I'm talking in general - not the limited vehicles of your experience.
>>
>> At least I don't.

>>> I have. many times.

>> How?

>>> A somple dial indicator tells the tale

>> Nope.
>> How you gonna tell runut from warp with a dial gauge?

> \Measure in more than 2 places -
>>
>>> - and sometimes one side is
>>> straight, and the other side is not - parallelism warpage - where some
>>> fins collapse and one side of the rotor "caves in" - 1 inch thick on
>>> one "side" of the rotor, and .875 or something like that diametrically
>>> across the rotor. - and sometimes virtually deead flat on both
>>> surfaces - other times with about hald paralel and the other half
>>> "sloped"

>> Now you're straining credularity.

> No I'm not. Seen it many times

>>> That won't necessarilly tell you anything. The only way to KNOW is to
>>> use a dial indicator properly.

>> How you gonna tell runut from warp with a dial gauge?

> Watch the needle move.
>>
>>> And that is where YOU are WRONG.
>>> Many technicians measure brake rotors virtually every day of their
>>> working lives.

>> On the entire freaking Internet, find *one* picture (just one) of a
>> technician actually properly measuring brake rotor *warp*.

> The internet doesn't show EVERYTHING. What you know comes from the
> web. What I know comes from tears in the trade (including teaching the

Teaching the trade, yes, bound to cause tears at times.

>> Just find a *single* picture please. Just one.
>> On the entire freakin' Internet.
>>
>> Find one.
>>
>>> Dealerships were then REQUIRED to buy an "on-the-car lathe" to true
>>> up rotors.

>> That's not warp.
>> Nothing on this planet is going to fix warp.
>> There's not enough metal to remove.

> That is totally dependent on how much warp. And what, other than
> "warp" will cause a rotor to develop "runout" if it is totally true
> when installed.
>>
>>> A wize man learns from the mistakes of others - a fool never learns
>>> because he "never makes mistakes"

>> Which is why I wish I had done these half-dozen jobs:
>> 1. Alignment
>> 2. Transmission
>> 3. Engine
>> 4. Tires
>> 5. paint

> Ond I've dome them all at least once.

Done hundreds and hundreds of alignments.

>>> Yes - you are right to the extent that MOST "warped rotors" are not.
>>> But you are absolutely WRONG when you say they never warp in
>>> street/highway use and anyone who says they have had a warped rotor is
>>> lying and hasn't measured the rotor to prove it.

>> I never once said "never" but "almost never" which is different, and we're
>> only talking street, and I have references that back up everything I say
>> whereas you provided zero references for what you said.

> You have references I have experience.

Ditto. Been there, measured that. ;-)

>> I'm not here to argue opinions.
>> I only argue using logic.

> Reality defies logic.
>>
>> Just read the references I provided and then provide some references that
>> back up your point of view.
>>
>> The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System
>> <http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths>
>>
>> The 'Warped Rotor' Myth
>> <http://www.10w40.com/features/maintenance/the-warped-rotor-myth>
>>
>> Warped Brake Rotors - Vibrating Reality or Internet Myth?
>> <https://blog.fcpeuro.com/warped-brake-rotors-vibrating-reality-or-internet-myth>
>>
>> Stop the +IBg-Warped+IBk- Rotors Myth and Service Brakes the Right Way
>> <http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/>
>>
>> Raybestos Brake Tech School, Part One: Rotors Don't Warp
>> <http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id87>

> Only the stop-tech article is written by a pro (Can't open the
> raybestos link so it's useless)
>
> The rest could be written by you - same level of cred. They are
> written by enthusiasts who have read articles.
>
> They are correct in most of what they say - but real warpage DOES
> exist, because not all rotors are properly manufactured and stress
> relieved and heat treated - like the problem Toyota had in the early
> '80s, and many of the "crap" rotors in the aftermarket - as I have
> explained before. In the "ideal world" they would never warp. Also,
> not all rotors spend their life in "normal" conditions - other
> problems in the braking system, or abuse, can cause a lot more heat
> than normal driving - which is why the accurate stement is:

Overtightening wheel nuts or uneven tightening of same will cause
warpage of discs.

--

Xeno