Old May 4th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

Default Hard top opinions?

On 2010-05-03, pws > wrote:

[regarding my advice to never lock a Miata]

> Just so Don doesn't think this is an odd thing, I second this advice,
> even on an older Miata without the chip protection.
>
> A couple of other things to consider.....
>
> The hardtop itself becomes an item of interest to some thieves. One
> reported hardtop theft happened in a snowstorm and left the car full
> of snow.

Ouch! To be betrayed by another Miata owner (who else is going to
know to steel a hardtop?) just adds insult to injury.

> Leaving the car unlocked is still no guarantee against a stupid
> thief. I also remember reading about someone who left their Miata
> unlocked and still had the top slashed above the lock. It's just a
> matter of adjusting the odds a bit.

I had a top slashed as well. The car was unlocked, sitting in a
driveway in a nice suburban neighborhood in Lawrence Kansas. They
never even bothered to open a door -- it was just vandalism.

> I have had two Miatas over 10 years and have never locked either one
> and have never had a sign of anyone being in the car that wasn't
> supposed to be, knock on wood.

I did have somebody in my (unlocked) 96M once. The alarm must have
gone off, becuase they did about $200 of damage ripping the alarm
switch off the steering column (which of course doesn't turn off the
alarm). I think they took some of the change out of the ash-tray.

One other time, I'm pretty sure somebody walked off with a wallet of
CDs that was in my 96m. But, they probably just leaned in and grabbed
it. After that I switched to keeping, uh, let's say "backup" copies of
CDs in the car with the originals at home.

--
Grant