Old April 18th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
James Spencer

Default 1993 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 1993 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD. The tranny sems to be slipping,
> and has problems going into reverse. Iam considering buying a used /
> rebuilt tranny. What year Explorer tranny's are compatable? Or shall I
> say withoput ECU etc.. changes

The Explorer trannies from these early years (like my '94) are complete
pieces of crap. I've heard very few cases of people happy with them. If
you go and get another one installed, make sure that's it's been rebuilt and
all recommended upgrades have been done to it. That's what I had to do with
mine. It cost $2000 to rebuild it with all the new upgraded parts, but it
works great. Getting a used one will eventually end up giving you the same
problem.