Old July 12th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Default Battery terminals

Old Wolf wrote:
> Erik wrote:
>
>>> Last week, after charging my battery when it was
>>> flat, I noticed a lot of that bluish-white salt stuff
>>> built up in the negative battery lead. I cleaned it
>>> off and reattached the lead, and then as I was
>>> doing up the nut with the spanner, I got a massive
>>> spark discharge

>> Hmmm I bet you were putting the positive terminal back on, and your
>> wrench touched something grounded.

> No - I attached the positive lead first and did its nut
> up and put the protective cover on; and then attached
> the negative lead, and then as I was doing up the nut
> on the negative lead, the spark happened. I was
> standing clear of the car and the spanner didn't
> touch anything apart from the negative stuff.
>
>> Auto parts stores have special battery terminal brushes... they're cheap
>> and work great. You can also submerge the cable end/s in a mixture of
>> baking soda water and the corrosion salts will boil away. The baking
>> soda method doesn't work well if the terminals are oily or greasy. Keep
>> the baking soda mixture out of the battery.
>>
>> Once you get the terminals clean and installed, giving then a good
>> coating of heavy grease will prevent further corrosion. Be sure to pack
>> it in well under the terminal. (Acids don't attack grease)

> OK, I'll do that. Any particular sort of grease?

I think the reason your battery was flat involves that big spark you
saw. That indicates a large draw on the battery. There should only be
a small crackle when the post tightens up, not a chunk blowing arc.

I use dielectric grease over my terminals to help keep corrosion down.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com