Old February 14th 05, 10:52 PM

DesignGuy wrote:
> I believe I've got a bad thermo switch/sensor in my 1995 Honda Civic

LX. The
> radiator fan does not come on when the AC is switched on (though the
> compressor fan works okay). I checked the fan relay by putting 12VDC

across
> the coil and I hear a click, plus I get continuity across the

contacts. I've
> bent the pins in case the socket connection is bad. Shorting out the
> contacts in the fan relay socket causes the fan to come on, so the

fan
> itself is okay. That's the disgnostic work I've done so far.
>
> Thanks to Tegger's FAQ, I've been able to locate the thermo switch,

but I
> cannot figure out how to remove the connector for testing purposes.

It's
> rotated in such a way that I can't see do undo the connector, and

help here?

> Aside from the connector, are there any pitfalls I should know about

when
> replace the thermo switch? It's fairly easy to get to, so I should be

able
> to do it myself.
>
> Also would like to change the thermostat, but never having done that

I need
> some assistance. First, in locating it. Then in determine what type

it is
> (med temp/high temp) and removal procedure. I've read that on later

model
> Honda's it's on the lower radiator hose but I can't see it.

The connector to the thermo switch has "lock" that must be raised about
1/16 of an inch before it can be unpluged. You may have to back the
thermo
switch a quarter turn or so to get to this "lock". The thermostat is a
couple
of inches to the right of the thermo switch an a bit higher. Be aware
that
there is still antifreeze in this part of the engine even after you
drain
the radiator. See Tegger's FAQ under radiator does not come on by
REMCO
for a lot of good data.
Ernie