Old October 9th 04, 09:00 PM
SoCalMike

jbourgeois wrote:

> I received a $175 estimate for a major tune-up, including replacement of
> spark plugs, wires, rotors, distributor cap, and air filter. There is a
> $45/hr labor fee, and an estimated time of 2 hrs.

for what model? year?
what mileage?
is it running rough?
wheres the quote from? dealer? independant honda place? pep boys?

honda plug wires and caps can last over 100k miles. my moms old mitsu
built eagle summit still has the OEM cap and plug wires, and has over
120k miles on it.

> Is this too much? It sounds like too much time...

when *i* do a generic "tuneup" on my 98 civic every 3 yrs/36k miles... i
do this:

new NGK or ND plugs
oil(mobil1) and filter(honda OEM) change
air filter
check tire pressure/rotate
flush brake and clutch fluid
drain coolant, refill with orange prestone dexcool 50/50 w/distilled water

all this runs me about $60 in fluids/filters/plugs, and takes the better
part of a day.

ive done the above twice so far, since im going by the 3 year rule
rather than mileage. its only got 47k on it.