Old August 21st 05, 01:56 AM
Steve Blankenship

"Mitch_A" > wrote in message
news
> Controller lag?
>
> Hmmm. F1C had a bit of controller lag but GTR and GTL sure dont (at least
> not on my rig)
>
> Maybe you need to tweak your wheel or you have other issues. Poor frame
> rates cause a similar feeling to controller lag. For me anything less

than
> 50fps is un-acceptable in either GTR or GTL (any sim for that matter)
>
> GTR and GTL do take much more RIG to run than GPL does, obviously
>
> My first immpression was similar to yours but after running it non-stop

for
> many hours I can say its not nearly as similar to GTR as I first thought

it
> to be.
>
> Multi in any ISI sim to date (not counting rfactor mp test) requires a

very
> good connection and drivers need to be much more local to each other than
> the Papy sims. If you can meet this standard the MP is great on Racemore.
> If not you get a sub-par experience. Arent you European? Have you raced

on
> a server with only local Euro's on all using broadband connections?
>
> The one thing I do dislike about GTL is driving old cars on moderrn

tracks.
> It just dont work for the immersion factor.
>
> Mitch

No controller lag here either, though I do get considerably less than 50FPS
on my old XP2400/Ti 4400. Still runs 12X9X32 w/2XAA better than GTR for me
though, and praise gMotor2, it doesn't freaking stutter all the time. Never
could completely sort that out with the GTR demo and it kept me from buying
it. Nice to know the guys at ISI finally sorted that out.

GTL doesn't have the low-speed grip issues of older ISI stuff, (GTR in
particular) either. In fact, after driving it back to back today with GPL,
NR2003, GTR, RBR and LFSS2, I'd say this may be the best tire model "feel"
I've yet encountered in a sim. Seems a bit grippier than I'd expect of
vintage tires, but on the limit the Elan feels more like my old MR2 than
anything PC-based I've tried. Yeah, there are still a few kludgy bits in
there from the past, like the feeble replays and crappy crash physics, but
this one's a keeper imho. I hope the multi is improved, for sure. Who
knows; the scene might even be a bit more civilized due to the historic
nature of the game. l think that was a part of why VROC was such a nice
place to race back in the day. I even find myself racing the AI cleaner
just because I know that's how they do it for real, the chrome bumper
mentality being thankfully absent in historic racing. You stick your nose
under someone, but back off thinking "damn, that Jag's too nice to just
shove him out of the way." (plus he's probably a lawyer and might send you
the bill!) So let's hope some of that rubs off on the multi scene. But
hell, the dynamics are good enough that I'd probably buy it even without
multi. The AI's quite good and fun to race with (once you tweak them so
they're not dog-slow). And hey; they won't cuss you out or vote to ban you
either!

Upgrade-worthy. I've been waiting for a good reason, and this is the first
non-Papy sim that gave me one. 7800, here I come. Looking forward to
flogging that Pantera of my neighbor's that I wanted to steal when I was a

SB