Old October 23rd 05, 08:40 PM
Bret Ludwig

Default Chevy 1971 K20 Auxiliary Gas Tank

asdf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My pickup has a 20 gallon tank behind the seat. Seems like I am
> always at the gas station. I can only find one tank to add under
> the bed. Unfortunately it would displace the class III hitch and
> the spare. Can someone recommend a tank for under the bed and
> forward of the rear axle?

Go dual fuel and add a big propane tank in the bed. Or engineer a dual
fuel cell installation ("fuel cell" as in a racing rubber bag, not an
electrical plant as on Apollo CSM) on either side of the driveshaft
with a fill pump off the main tank. (Hoop the driveshaft while you are
at it, lest it fail, and flail the cells.)

Of course, you could go the hillbilly way, and buy a diesel fuel bed
mount tank, and ignore all those sissy safety warnings about not using
it for gas or plumbing it into the vehicle. Around here that's the
popular route.