Old January 18th 04, 02:16 AM
rnf2

"Bret Chase" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:17:22 +1300, "rnf2" >
> wrote:
>
> >:|
> >:|"David Thomas" > wrote in message
> e.com...
> >:|> I'm considering adding rear air springs to my '99 Toyota 4Runner to
> >:|> level the 4x4 when towing our 2003 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up camper.

I'm
> >:|> mainly concerned about the coil springs rubbing holes in the air bags
> >:|> over time. This is my wife's kid taxi so no plans for mudding or any
> >:|> rough off-road (although we do live down a 1/4 mile gravel drive).
> >:|>
> >:|> I'd like to hear from other's experiences with these air springs.

What
> >:|> brand they used, how long the bags last, that sort of thing.
> >:|>
> >:|> Thanks!
> >:|>
> >:|> David
> >:|
> >:|Why do you need to level it? A towed item such as a caravan or trailer
> >:|should be balanced to have about 20-50Kg on the towbar. IOW you should

be
> >:|able to lift it comfortablly without straining, and it should

definately
> >:|notdepress the springs overmuch.
> >:|
> >:|You should be able to pack the camper proper, I've been able to lift

with
> >:|one hand the drawbar of trailers loaded with over 2 tons.
> >:|
> >:|rhys
> >:|

> I hate to disagree with you here, but a trailer *should* have 10% of
> the weight on the tongue (ball hitch) to maintain good stability and
> tracking. a trailer with 2 tons on it should have 400lbs on the
> tongue. pintle hitchs and 5thwheel/goosenecks can have significantly
> more weight on their tongues.
>
> -Bret

Went and had a look at the LSTA site.

"The load supported by the tow coupling should be about 10 percent of the
trailer gross weight (30 - 40kg for the average household trailer). The
trailer draw bar should be level or slightly nose down."

I've never had a problem however towing the trailer over hills, tight
curves, gravel roads and hairpin bends. and it stays square behind the tow
vehicle without sway.

It helps that the trailer has springs made for the weight and has shocls or
dampers. Overly light springs or an undampened trailer would tend to sway a
lot more.

rhys