Old August 1st 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
> On Jul 31, 12:19 am, Zeke-baby >
> wrote:
>> 88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
>>
>>> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible
>>> to 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming
>>> noise which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly
>>> louder between 60-90 KM / Hr.
>>> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the
>>> gears and should be ignored.

>> Let me guess. If you're cruising at speed with a light throttle,
>> and then lift your foot off the gas, the noise goes away (or gets
>> significantly quieter).
>>
>> Sounds like it wasn't set up properly.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> zëkë
>>
>> --
>> '65 Fastback 289/4-speed/3.50s
>> '91 LX Hatchback 5.0/5-speed/3.08s (MIA since Feb'00)
>> '97 GT 4.6/5-speed/3.23s (the winter beater)

> This is exactly what happens. The noise is less significant (although
> not gone) when the throttle is released.
>
> To answer some other questions. The gears were provided by the
> mechanic and I don't know the brand. I'm not a car buff (I like a nice
> car but know little about them) and therefore rely heavily on other
> people's knowledge experience.
>
> The car is an automatic and I have 2" flowmaster exhaust (which make
> enough noise on their own) and the humm overpowers them easily at that
> speed range (with the top up or down).
>
> Thanks to everyone, I will contact the mechanic and discuss with him.
>
> Marc

I think I'd get another mech to check it, someone recommended by
people from a track. Also 2" exhaust? THe stock Mustang pipes are 2 1/4"
the upgrade is usually 2 1/2 or 3"

--

TEACHER: Harold, what do you call a person who keeps on
talking when people are no longer interested?

HAROLD: A teacher