Old May 11th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Failed Smog - Any Clue in the Numbers?

"Blake" > wrote in message news:JO6dnTeeUeD-
> My emission numbers a
>
> 15 MPH Test
> 2068 RPM
> CO2 14.2%
> O2 0.6%
> HC 41 PPM (147 Test Limit)
> CO 0.70% (0.88 Test Limit)
> NO 986 PPM (889 Test Limit)
>
> 25 MPH Test
> 2247 RPM
> CO2 14.6%
> O2 0.2%
> HC 27 PPM (122 Test Limit)
> CO 0.53% (0.78 Test Limit)
> NO 1147 PPM (829 Test Limit)
>

> If anyone can offer some insight into these numbers, I would appreciate
> hearing. Thanks.

Unless I have missed the boat totally, everything looks okay except your
oxides of nitrogen
numbers.

High NO should indicate excessive temperature in the combustion chamber,
which -generically-
can come from several sources...failure of the EGR system, lean operating
conditions, spark
timing off, or other things that would result in high combustion
temperatures. Lots of things
can affect this.

Maybe somebody knows more about the specific Daihatsu unit.