Old February 18th 13, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW

Default Got lots done, but lots of drama!

On Saturday, 16 February 2013 22:56:20 UTC+13, John wrote:
> They were still making 1200,s in 1972? In Australia I seem to recall they
>
> stopped around ,66. My first Beetle was the 1300 and it was a 66, not sure
>
> the 1200 was even an option.. Nearly killed myself the first day I owned it
>
> after moving from a grossly understeering series of BMC ( Austin, Morris)
>
> cars. Raised the heart rate somewhat!!.
>
> Elring did use to be good quality. They havn,t moved their manufacturing to
>
> somewhere in Asia have they?
>
> John

Haha! BMC... didn't each car they made increase the debt!

Dunno if Elring have moved... maybe they were just duds. I fitted Febi swing axle boots too, one one thicker and stiffer than the other too! Weird!

1200 were made for MANY years. Certainly at least well into the 70's. It has no flow through ventilation, the old style blade bumpers (but no overriders - JUST the blade!), no fan - just the old style demister vents and foot vents, small headliner (doesn't cover the pillars or sides of the roof - or where the SINGLE sun visor is mounted - it's all painted steel), rubber mats, 1 speed wipers, just a horn button, no ring or "tabs", just a carboard liner in the "dogbox", no chrome on the running boards or in the window rubbers, etc etc etc :-)

> "Jan Andersson" wrote in message ....
>

> LOL sounds like a standard aircooled day.....

It does a bit..... Still - everything is genarlly easy to get to! 20 minutes to get the engine out isn't bad :-)

Allan.