Old March 14th 13, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Arthur

Default What is the root of this BMW design flaw in all 3,5,7 seriesBMW trunk wiring looms?

VinnyB wrote on Thu, 14 Mar 2013 05:24:43 -0500:

>>Replace the entire trunk wiring loom every five years.
>>BMW Part number: 61116907260

> What do they typically charge for such a replacement? Let me guess:
> $15,000 That makes sense. Anyone fool enough to by a BMW should be
> happy to pay for that fix.

These 3,4,5 series BMWs are some of the best handling and safest
vehicles on the planet. The M62, M62TU, M54, M52, & M52TU engines
are bulletproof, and the suspensions superb.

Yet, part of owning a bimmer is fixing it yourself. Otherwise you'll
go broke with the repairs. I know of scores who have "repaired"
their trunk wiring loom - but I don't know of any who went to the
stealer to have it replaced.

I was only answering the question of what BMW says to do.
We all work on our own vehicles so we repair them ourselves.

Cost to "repair" is about $20 give or take - but the real question
is why it breaks in the first place. It looks like, from the discussions,
a combination of poor choice is insulation plus a badly designed snorkel.