Old December 13th 04, 03:41 AM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
"bob" > wrote:

> aarcuda69062,
>
> Your diagnosis was correct. Nove I've been digging for a couple of answers.
> I picked up new gaskets but cannot find out if you put RTV on the gasktes at
> the coolant ports or install dry? They have the plastic backbone with
> silicone insert as was described.

Install the gaskets dry.
Run a bead of good RTV along both end rails of the block, run the
bead 1/4 inch up the cylinder head, install the gaskets and then
put a dollup at each corner to meet the bead you ran on the block.

> Also, cannot find specs for base ignition
> timing (gotta get rid of Haynes and get a real book). I assume you align to
> TDC as there is only 1 mark on the damper and a single notch on the little
> plate on the block Assuming I align to the notch but is there anything to
> unplug (used to be vacuum advance, "spout" connector, etc.) to disable the
> idle advance?

Your 96 doesn't have adjustable ignition timing, that is
controlled by the PCM based upon a signal from the crankshaft
sensor. The distributor contains a camshaft position sensor
which determines the sequence of injector pulse, adjustment of
the distributor is accomplished with a scan tool under the
function of "camshaft sensor offset."
Hopefully, you marked where the rotor was pointing, the
distributor base to the block, and can re-install everything
lined up as it was.

One more tip....
The manifold bolt torque values are very low, please use a torque
wrench suitable for low torque measurements, i.e., definitely not
a 1/2" drive!