Old October 25th 10, 10:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

Default 35.97 mpg...

On 2010-10-23 01:01:46 -0400, Lanny Chambers > said:

> In article
> >,
> "Tim M." > wrote:
>
>> Furthermore, a 90/10 gasoline/ethanol mixture does not reduce fuel
>> economy by 10%

> Back when I could still buy real gasoline in neighboring counties, I
> watched my mileage bounce between 27 and 30 depending on where I filled
> up. This was consistent over years. Looks a lot like 10% to me. I don't
> care what Big Agriculture tells you, I have personal experience. 10%
> ethanol = 10% power loss/mileage reduction...looks pretty inert from
> where I stand. A total crock.

I believe the scientific term is either "energy density" or "specifi
energy" I forget which and I'm too tired to go look it up.

In a nutshell, a gallon of alcohol has about 30% less energy content
than a gallon of gasoline.
E10 being 10% alcohol, a full fuel tank of E10 will contain 3% less
energy than 100% gasoline. (If Big Agro has ever claimed improved
mileage I'd like to see that ad.)

On the other hand alcohol has lower emissions, absorbs the moisture in
your tank, and cleans the lines. In many cases people can make up that
3% by being meticulous with their tire pressures.

cheers

Don