Old February 25th 09, 04:57 PM posted to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

Default 1997 GMC Suburban Noisy Transfer Case

There is going to be some noise in 4wd at speed but I cannot say if
yours is excessive without hearing it. The "clunk" was because
synchronize in Tcase is likely getting worn and not smoothly bringing
front drive shaft up to speed to engage it. Realistically, shifts in to
4wd should be made a a lower speed because it is easier to get drive
shaft up to proper speed to engage it. (20MPH or less)