Old August 25th 05, 08:46 AM
351CJ

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> [...]

>> "Whatever you subsidize your create more of it".

> And I'd be subsidzing the search for viable alternative fuel sources.

>> > They have big business and the religous right in their back pocket?
>> > Money + religion is tough to beat/defeat. Just ask Bin Laden.

>> Respectfully, this is where you are dead wrong. I vote Republican and
>> in no way fit the stereotype you just stated.

> Currently the Republican *base* is being driven by big business and the
> religous right. Others, like yourself, have joined the ranks because
> the Democrats currently have no message and no messenger.
>
>> I am self employed and
>> haven't been to church in years. The reason I vote Republican is
>> because for me there is no better alternative that stands a snowball's
>> chance in hell of winning an election.

> Mike, elections have become popularity contests. I don't buy for a
> minute that the Republicans have a lock on anything. All it takes is
> the "right candidate" and good PR/spin team around him/her to build an
> image and anyone could win tomorrow. It's just that right now Rove and
> company are the best PR/spin team around.
>
>> I don't care about any of the religious issues. I do care greatly about
>> conservative economic issues.

> The Bush team is anything but conservative on economics. In fact he's
> been getting drilled by conservative groups for his spending.
>
>> I am actually more Libertarian that anything. I just know that voting
>> Libertarian in today's world is a waste of my vote. One other thing I
>> know is that should liberals get their agenda enacted they will run this
>> country off a cliff economically and from a national security standpoint.

> Why is liberal considered a bad word? Because in my dictionary,
> liberal sounds pretty darn good.
>
>> Bush didn't get 60+ million votes because all the church's got the vote
>> out and all the corporate CEO's voted.

> He won because of what's going on in the Middle East. The folks on the
> fence didn't want to see a whole new team try to formulate a whole new
> game to win. They figured they didn't want to throw a monkey wrench in
> things... that it was better to let the current team see if they can
> finish/fix what they started.
>
>> He got them because a vast
>> majority of people are tired of having issues like gay marriage, gun
>> control, tax increases, etc. rammed down their throats.

> Personally, I think Clinton did a pretty darn good job with the
> economy. Taxes weren't out of control. He was fiscally
> responsible/conservative and had us running in the black. Bush on the
> other hand has us bleeding red ink, and it appears, for a long time to
> come. Gay marrige is hotter subject now than it has ever been. And as
> far as gun control, I don't think it's a big thing if someone has to
> wait 24 hours to be checked out for a criminal record/mental health
> issue before buying an AK-47, do you? But some seem to think doing
> that background check is the begining of a slippery slope to banning

You really need a little more information on this subject.
The second amendment has nothing whatsoever to do with hunting or shotguns.
Waiting periods are NOT about background checks. That has been covered
since 1998 by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).
Or in the case of individuals who carry concealed weapons permits from one
or multiple states, they have already passed one or more stringent
background check. How many is enough? Should you have to retake your
drivers exam once a month? After all many more Americans die from
automobiles than guns.

Does your "no big thing" attitude apply to a person who already has one or
more guns? What practical difference does that person waiting to buy their
2nd, 3rd, or 4th gun make?

If you really wanted to do something about criminals with guns, you would
stop supporting the harassment of honest law abiding Americans, and go after
the criminals.
If a criminal wants a gun they will get it with or without these silly
little feel good infringements, and they do because they know there are no
serious ramifications if they get caught with a gun.

Law abiding Americans have an inalienable right to firearms, without a bunch
of thinly veiled excuses for infringing on that right.

Pro Second Amendment Americans are a huge block of voters.