Old February 20th 13, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Default Got lots done, but lots of drama!

On 2/18/2013 2:05 AM, AllanW wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 February 2013 22:56:20 UTC+13, John wrote:
>> They were still making 1200,s in 1972? In Australia I seem to recall they
>>
>> stopped around ,66. My first Beetle was the 1300 and it was a 66, not sure
>>
>> the 1200 was even an option.. Nearly killed myself the first day I owned it
>>
>> after moving from a grossly understeering series of BMC ( Austin, Morris)
>>
>> cars. Raised the heart rate somewhat!!.
>>
>> Elring did use to be good quality. They havn,t moved their manufacturing to
>>
>> somewhere in Asia have they?
>>
>> John

> Haha! BMC... didn't each car they made increase the debt!
>
> Dunno if Elring have moved... maybe they were just duds. I fitted Febi swing axle boots too, one one thicker and stiffer than the other too! Weird!
>
> 1200 were made for MANY years. Certainly at least well into the 70's. It has no flow through ventilation, the old style blade bumpers (but no overriders - JUST the blade!), no fan - just the old style demister vents and foot vents, small headliner (doesn't cover the pillars or sides of the roof - or where the SINGLE sun visor is mounted - it's all painted steel), rubber mats, 1 speed wipers, just a horn button, no ring or "tabs", just a carboard liner in the "dogbox", no chrome on the running boards or in the window rubbers, etc etc etc :-)
>

>> "Jan Andersson" wrote in message ...
>>

>> LOL sounds like a standard aircooled day.....
>>

> It does a bit..... Still - everything is genarlly easy to get to! 20 minutes to get the engine out isn't bad :-)
>
> Allan.

BTW I used to do regular maintenance on a mexican built 1988 1200 std
beetle back in Finland. So yea they made them forever.

1988 they imported the last 14-or so aircooled VW beetles to Finland.
They were a special limited set, for some reason. Before that they had
not imported any since 1975.