Old November 29th 18, 10:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

Default Can I drive my car if the thermostat is bad

On 29/11/18 8:20 pm, wrote:
> Shanda: I don't know if it's the case nowadays, but back in
> my day - pre-1980s - quite a few folks were driving around
> with replacement thermostats installed backwards in higher
> mileage cars. Didn't affect engine performance or drivability,
> but the driver had no knowlledge of engine temperature until
> steam started shooting from underhood, lol!
>
> I'm dismayed how back then something as simple as an
> engine thermostat wasn't KEYED to make it impossible to
> install more than one way.

Anyone with a clue will *know* that the element needs to be towards the
*source of the heat*. IOW, it needs to face down towards the cylinder
head. If someone installs one backwards, don't ever let them near your
car. They are total nuff nuffs.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)