Old May 19th 04, 07:45 PM
Shawn

I had replaced my o2 sensor on mine. It wasn't reading right. The car was
getting to much fuel. You could actually smell it coming from the exhaust.
The car was warmed up, but with the sensor gone, the computer figured the
engine was still cold. Therefore sending out to much fuel.
The sensor was fairly cheap. $60 Aftermarket part(not from the dealer). It
took only minutes to put in. It cured my problem

Good luck
"Rincewind" > wrote in message
> I have noticed that the fuel mileage in my '00 SL1 has slowly been
> deteriorating over the last few months. I am currently only getting aroun
> 22-24 MPG (dpending on how accurate my conversion is). I feel that I

should
> be getting better, especially since the pric of gas has increased so
> dramatically...
>
> The car is an automatic, and has been well maintained since new. It has
> 65,000 kms on it and I have owned it since 40,000. The air filter was
> changed at 52,000 as were the tranny fluid and filter, and spark plugs. I
> change the oil as soon as the light comes on.
>
> I was told by someone that the O2 sensor May be the culprit, but I wanted

> ask some people in the know before I take it somewhere to have it looked

at.