Old December 21st 05, 09:42 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default 1987 - 5000 Quattro Turbo Ventilation Question - 329K

Yeah, no doubt, the fogging is almost inexistent.
)
As far as the stick through the vents goes; you're damn close.
It's actually 2 pieces of string tied to the flap lever (one to open,
one to close) and they come through the space next to the defroster
button. (I guess it's supposed to be an option for a coin holder of
some kind). Works great! My girlfriend likes it (thinks it's "cute")
and finally I can feel my fingers in the morning while steering.

Just did one driver's side of the breaks and it took a while
because I had never done it before and I'm not exactly THAT
car-mechanically inclined. The piston in the caliper took about a
friggin' hour to turn back into the cylinder and it was pretty
frustrating because the wrench kept slipping and I kept banging my
head on the wheel well. (Proves how good I am with this stuff).
The pad on the interior was worn down to nothing and the one
exterior had maybe .020 of an inch left. The rotor should have been
cut, but maybe after the winter. It'll do for now.
( I know it's half-assed, but I found it to be a pain in the
ass and I needed the car, so I just had to have the car operable
regardless of the condition of the rotor)
After replacing the pads I took it for a test drive and I
pushed the breaks hard, which may not have been a good idea.
I'm going to keep an eye on the break fluid but I think I may
have helped cause a leak due to the hard breaking.
I could probably ask a million questions about this car and
you'd probably be kind enough to answer. I'm going to attempt to
determine most of the answers myself, but I'm sure I'll have some
other stuff to ask.
When I get around to it, the power door locks system is next.
I took the doors apart and I was surprised by the system. Very
interesting with the vacuum line running to the actuator! So German
and so efficient if it works, but it's irritating when it doesn't so
that may be the next project.
Thanks for all your help. Have you always been a fan of these
cars?
My brother and I sort of have had a family feud for the last 5
or so years and we keep busting each other's chops; me about his Audi;
he about my Volvos.
If I don't speak to you soon have a Happy Holiday and thanks
again.

Later
Paul