Old March 11th 13, 12:31 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

Default Brake advice?

"BSAKing" > wrote in message
Hi -

I have a 1976 corvette that I am trying to keep going on a minimalist
budget.

I have a brake issue in that I am losing brake fluid - a lot from the rear
reservoir and little from the front. I have not pulled the wheels and
calipers yet, but I did notice that after a little spin around the court
here that there appears to be some fluid collecting and running out of a
machined hole maybe about 1/8" on the bottom of the Master brake cylinder
that seems to go right through the cylinder, just in front of the brake
booster.

Does this seem indicative of a faulty master brake cylinder?

I have no doubt I have slight seepage from the calipers and I intend to
replace the seals, but it is a lot of fluid going missing in a short time,
so I suspect more than one issue.

Thanks for any clues.

Not a low budget job, plan on 4 wheels (o-ring pistons and seals are best)
and a master cylinder kit/replacement and emergency brake shoes or you will
be doing some of it over later this year. New lines might not hurt if they
show deterioration. Can't say enough for getting the rotors to a good runout
on all of them. Stainless steel emergency brake hardware for a fix it and
forget it for the life of the car.