Old October 21st 17, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Warm daah before taking it apart?

wrote:

>>On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 17:45:51 -0400, micky >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I have to remove the air vents above the radio in the middle of the dash
>>>tomorrow, on a 2005 Toyota.
>>>
>>>I tried today several times and the bezel or whatever bent without
>>>breaking, but the thing popped back where it was originally.
>>>
>>>I'm worried about cracking or breaking the plastic. Today was 68,
>>>tomorrow will be 71 they say.
>>>
>>>Is it better to do this in warm weather? I can turn on the heater and
>>>warm up the plastic, if that will either make it less likely to break,
>>>or more likely for the rectangular plastic plugs to slip out of their
>>>rectangular plastic sockets. 3 at the top and 3 at the bottom, left,
>>>right, and middle.
>>>
>>>I should more closely but I think or I assume the console and the box
>>>below the radio have the same kind of plugs and they came out easily,
>>>twice. The box doesn't even require any extra pulling, in the videos
>>>I've seen and in person. No harder than picking it up from a table. So
>>>i don't know why these are so hard. More sunlight on them?

>> Don't do it in cold, but 68F is not cold.

>Of course 68 is not cold, but the point of the question was whether it
>would work better if it were even warmer. You didn't address that.
>
>Maybe someone else could tell me what they think about warming the vents
>to 75 or 80, or even warmer. Would it help keep the plastic from
>cracking?
>
>>Things are seldom as simple as they look on U-Tube - get used to it.

>What are you talking about? Taking off the console top and the box were
>just as simple for me as they were in the videos and I didn't comment on
>how hard it was in the videos to do air vents.
>
>But they did get the air vents off, so clearly I know that it's not
>always as easy as the video or I wouldn't have bothered to ask about
>them.
>
>You just want to carp, even if it's irrelevant to what I said.

No mickey - I don't just want to carp and didn't even notoce it was
you asking the question. If platic is old and has lost plasticity,
heat won't help. If it is a thermoset plastic, heat won't help.
Extreme cold will still make it worse - but anything above 50 or 60 F
isn't going to make much (if any) difference. This from decades of
experience repairing cars ( and recently even working on some older
planes)