Old June 30th 13, 02:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Default Ahhh the smell of summer

Dad wrote:

> "Rufus" > wrote in message
>> tww1491 wrote:
>>>

>>> "Dad" wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hot asphalt, smoking tires, burning oil, and brakes.......
>>>
>>> Only 125 MPR+, some day I'm going to get this thing in 5th gear.
>>>
>>> --------------------------------
>>> Summer indeed. Already very hot here in Middle GA south of Atlanta.
>>> Lots of rain. Recall back in the 50s and into the 60s people with sports
>>> cars (Healeys, Triumphs. MGs and even Corvettes) used to wave when they
>>> passed each other. Not so any more, although us S2000 owners do wave or
>>> blink headlights. Another fine tradition gone.
>>>

>> ...out here Covetters and bikers still wave...I think most like
>> vehicles still wave at each other.
>>
>> But I know I'm not going out *today* to wave at anybody...heading to
>> 115 today, and I heard at breakfast this morning that it was 130 in
>> Death Valley yesterday! Talk about "hot asphalt"...
>>
>> --
>> - Rufus
>>

> It used to be that the C5 whiners said the older Corvette drivers didn't
> wave because they were jealous, and the older ones said the C5s didn't
> have the Corvette knowledge to keep up the wave. Then it repeated when
> the C6 came out. I have to admit I'm caught paying more attention to
> driving than I do the whiners. If I see any Corvette in time I wave, if
> not, live with it.

I generally get feedback for not waving at people in cars that I know
when I'm on my Harley...I tell them that when I'm on my Harley I'm too
busy trying not to get hit by the cars to notice or care who's *in* them...

....but bikers almost always wave at each other when passing and all gens
of Corvetters wave at each other 'round here. And I notice it on the
highway.

> I saw that Death Valley might reach 130 yesterday but didn't know it
> had, one hot mother to drive through. All the way from Beatty to Mojave
> every sound the car made would make you jump, thinking it was going to
> fail any time. Was in the high 60s here last night and a light rain
> right now.

Taking a look, the current Death Valley temp is 128 and the forecast for
the next two days is for 130.

And last night's overnight *low* here in the Indian Wells Valley was
*80*! Currently reading 112, I bet it's higher in the bright sunshine.

--
- Rufus