Old July 22nd 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_3_]

Default Oil Change Frequency

"Mel P." > wrote in message
> Up until I got my 2009 Civic, I would change oil in my cars every 3K
> miles.
> Now with the car's 'maintenance minder", it shows the oil life left which
> is 5-7K miles.
>
> If I REALLY can go by it, I have no problems.
>
> Just asking if it will wear the engine out quicker.

On my '01 Accord I don't change the oil till the indicator says to (usually
around the 7,000 mile mark). I'm now at 256,xxx miles and the engine still
runs smooth. So engine longevity is not an issue. And I've spent half as
much as I would if I followed the '60s thought process and changed every 3k.