Old May 26th 05, 05:12 PM
brink

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 23:27:52 -0500, "brink" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Then this inconsiderate **** needs to a) speed the **** up, or b) not
>>> get into the HOV lane in the first place.
>>>
>>> The purpose of the HOV lane is to reward drivers of low pollution/high
>>> efficiency vehicles by letting them travel on the highway unimpeded.
>>> Having some inconsiderate Sloth blocking the road defeats the whole
>>> purpose of having an HOV lane.

>>for the most part i agree... but i dunno, it can be pretty hard to get in
>>and get out of the HOV lanes when the differential of speed is 40 MPH
>>plus,
>>*especially* if you're going to let a bunch of people pass.

> Be honest, now: hard hard is it to just speed up a little bit?

it's not hard and i don't mind going around 75 MPH or so, which is where i
usually cruise, 70-75 in a 65. i'm fine with that, comfortable there, i
figure i have relatively low chance of being pulled over for that as long as
i'm driving considerately otherwise.

> People will show "consideration" by stopping dead to let someone cut
> in front of them, but showing TRUE consideration by speeding up or
> getting out of the way of faster traffic never enters these peoples'
> minds.

the problem of course is that the latter is ticketed far more than the
former and california speeding tickets are draconian...

>>that's why i don't think the "you must *always* let faster traffic pass"
>>mantra just can't apply so dogmatically in HOV lanes... because in this
>>scenario the guy who's doing 80 MPH needs to cut into the 25 MPH traffic
>>let the 90 MPH guy by.

> So speed up to 90. What usually ends up happening is you catch up to
> the Sloth in front of you, forcing to to slow down anyway. However, at
> least YOU were not the asshole.

i can give you 300+ reasons not to do this... (more once you figure
insurance into the equation)... ;-)

>>> Obviously you're just full of hyperbole. If it were really as
>>> difficult to accomplish as you say, then there would be a massive
>>> pileup every time someone in the carpool lane reached their exit.

>>this is true... my original scenario makes it sound like it's dang near
>>impossible to get out of the HOV lanes during rush hour, which of course
>>usually isn't true (though it sometimes is!).
>>
>>the problem is of course the *massive* speed differential at times, we're
>>talking HOV running at 70 MPH while the fwy lanes are at stop and go.
>>one
>>of the unfortunate side effects of this is that one has little choice at
>>times but to hit the brakes to change lanes while in the HOV lane, which
>>sucks for everyone involved, including those behind us. the trick is to
>>*gently* decelerate so there are no rear enders smashing into one another
>>when someone slams on the brakes to get out.

> So clearly the best choice for all concerned is to either speed up to
> match the speed of other traffic in that lane, or, if you're truly not
> up to it, not enter the lane at all. I submit, however, that if you
> can't handle the typical speeds in an HOV lane, you have no business
> being on the freeway at all. After all, the HOV lanes don't move any
> faster than the normal lanes do during periods of light congestion.

seems like a false dichotomy to me, either go as fast as the *fastest*
driver in the HOV lane or don't drive on the fwy at all. what if he wants
to do 100 MPH?

brink