Old July 9th 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

Default thermostats

"Max" > wrote in message

>A buddy of mine observed an engine on a dyno where the thermostat was
>opening then closing as each pull was performed.

>Max

absolutley, but that is due to waste heat from the engine being placed under
load on the dyno, not by the position of the throttle... the two may be
linked, but they are not absolute.. for example an(our aircooled engines)
can, and will, put off more waste heat in a higher gear at low rpms with the
throttle at X position than it will in a proper gear that puts the engine in
it's most efficient range at the same throttle position... and to tie this
back into our dear friend Al's original post, that is why they recommend
rings...