Old August 25th 06, 09:24 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Isaiah Beard

Default 2005 Dodge Caravan 6 CD Changer Issue

Smitty61 wrote:

> Soon after same thing happened again. Dealer told me I cannot use Burnt
> homemade cd's?? WHAT THE HECK IS THE DIFFERENCE!!! they are made just
> like the store bought ones!!

Actually, no, they aren't.

Mass-Produced CDs (the ones you refer to as "store bought") are pressed
mylar sheets coated in a thick layer of lacquer. They're not burned,
but are actually manufactured using a master plate that "presses" the
pits and landings into the mylar. They're very easy for even the oldest
CD players to read, and in theory they are supposed to last a good while.

CD-Rs, (the ones you call "homemade") are actually made up of a
photosensitive dye substrate, suspended atop a plastic disc and then
covered with paint or lacquer film. A laser in your CD-R drive then
"burns" holes into the photosensitive dye, chemically changing it so
that it has a different optical characteristic from "unburned" dye.
typically, these don't have as long a lifespan as pressed CDs, and are a
bit more error-prone.

In theory, most CD players are supposed to read both types just fine.
But, chemically and optically, the discs ARE different, and react
differently.

The reality is that MOST modern CD players don't care very much about
what kind of CD you put in them. But there are a few that are equipped
with laser pickups which don't read CD-Rs very well. Unfortunately, it
looks like the CD changers for your Caravan have this type of laser pickup.

That's actually a bit odd, because I have no problem with CD-Rs in my
2005 Neon's CD player. I guess they must use different components for
each device.

> CD's get stuck ? I have many friends with hondas and toyotas and other
> make cars with 6 cd changers and they never had a problem. WHY DO I
> HAVE THIS ?? Am i just getting a LEMON radio every time or I cannot use
> burnt cd's like they said???
>
> CRAZY!!!

You could just get an aftermarket stereo with a CD changer...

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.