Old November 18th 04, 12:10 AM
Glen Rolland

In article > ,
says...
> > Hopefully Alfa will eventually follow BMWs lead on adjustable headlamps
> > and a whole host of other clever features that my wife was telling me
> > will be standard on the Z4 she has just ordered such as headlamps that
> > sense when it is dark and automatically turn on the sidelights and then
> > go to dipped etc. as it gets darker.

> I don't know, I was on a motorway in appalling conditions of rain and spray
> and this "moron" suddenly came out of nowhere without lights on in the murk.
> On popped his lights and I thought the penny had dropped, then off they
> went, back on a few hundred yards later etc.
>
> It was a range topping Merc, obviously with auto sensing lights. I know they
> could be overidden but the more auto features you give people the less
> likely they are to think they have a responsibility.

Good point, I have a similar problem with the automatic rain sensor on
my GTA, the first time I drove the car in heavy rain coming back up from
the euro tunnel on the M20 I put the windscreen wipers onto automatic
but soon switched back to manual after overtaking an articulated lorry
in the middle of which the wipers turned themselves off, momentarily
leaving me with zero visibility.

I keep experimenting with the sensor which appears to be slowly getting
more reliable though no where near trustworthy at other times a few dead
insects on the windscreen continually trigger the wipers.

Glen