Old November 16th 04, 08:16 PM
Glen Rolland

In article >, ess
says...
> estecman wrote:
> > Hi all, does anybody know if there are Alfa 156 headlight deflectors for
> > driving in the UK, as I'm from mainland europe???
> >
> > Or is there a way to adjust the lights under the bonnet for UK driving, as
> > cars like BMW etc have this setting???
> > Cheers
> >

> I think you can use the headlamp height adjuster on the dash - you just
> set it to the highest setting.
>
> Halmyre

I don't think this suggestion will work, the height adjuster simply
changes the angle of the headlight to compensate for the rear of the car
being lower when under a heavy load, without adjustment the beams would
point in a more upwards direction and not down onto the road surface.

The necessity for headlight deflectors when going between Britain and
the continent is to prevent oncoming traffic from being dazzled due to
the different side of the road we drive on, British cars have their
headlights configured to point towards the left hand side of the road
(pavement side) which if unaltered would point straight at oncoming cars
when in Europe.

As a frequent cross channel traveller I bought a set of the perspex
Headlamp Protectors for my 156 GTA Sportwagon, these come with a number
of sets of adhesive headlamp deflectors (blockers in reality) and are
precisely marked as to where these fit. As mine were specified to fit a
Righthand drive vehicle I would suspect that they must sell a Lefthand
drive version.

The other bonus is that they obviously protect your headlamps from
getting pitted by stones.

Hopefully Alfa will eventually follow BMWs lead on adjustable headlamps
and a whole host of other clever features that my wife was telling me
will be standard on the Z4 she has just ordered such as headlamps that
sense when it is dark and automatically turn on the sidelights and then
go to dipped etc. as it gets darker.

Regards

Glen