Old August 30th 04, 06:19 PM
Phil Sawyer

Default Not sure if this is a good thing or not....

....but on Saturday night I called my usual taxi company to take me and the
current Mrs Sawyer home after an evening's liquid refreshment, and instead
of the usual Toyota Carina it was an Alfa 156 2.0TS!

The driver was shocked as I knew straight away how to open the rear doors
(apparently, most passengers assume it's a two-door and try to get in
through the front passenger side) but I told him I had one too.

He then seemed determined to drive like a true Alfisti, and made a pretty
good job of it too. Mileometer read 116,000-ish miles and it pulled and
cornered as well as a much younger car. I made sure to tip him a little
extra as I'm sure he must be spending a fortune at the pumps!

Thing is, I'm a little unsure about this. If I drove a Merc or B*W or any
other normal car I'd be resigned to the fact that my car could end up as
minicab fodder. But an Alfa? Doesn't really say Cuore Sportivi, does it?

--
Phil Sawyer

Never knowingly underweight