Old October 28th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default Should I buy '01 LW300 98Kmi?

I've got a 2001 lw300 and love it. Got about 130K on it now. bought it with
two years on it and 40K miles having just come off lease. Paid about $10K.
Biggest single expense was the timing belt which should be done at 90K
(iirc). I had mine done at an independent garage friend of mine and paid
$400 for it. That included replacing the water pump which was the major
reason for doing the timing belt at that point. Was going to do it myself
but is not a job for the faint of heart and needs lots of special tools.
Replaced MAF three times but am thinking that these were damaged by a
backfire caused by a flaky crank angle sensor. Eventually, it got so bad
that engine wouldn't start or stall out. Since I replace the crank angle
sensor, no problems since.
Blower motor is getting noisy and will have to be replaced soon.
Roof rack is strange. no weight is supposed to be put on the roof and if you
do, the paint scratches easily. I got some used Thule bars and made a wooden
frame mounting to it to support the load. Got room for the kayak carrier and
the rooftop soft carrier.
Gets about 23mpg in town and up to 27mpg highway if I keep it to 55 and
don't hotrod. Hotrodding is a temptation - I've had it up to 105 (don't do
this with the kids in the car). Takes off like a rocket and sometimes the
gas pedal is a bit touchy. It is drive by wire.

Oppie