Old October 21st 14, 08:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Mazda3 clunk

On Friday, April 30, 2010 9:54:03 PM UTC+10, andy-k wrote:
> I have a 2004 Mazda3 (manual transmission) that has just been serviced
> (non main-dealer) after flying through its MOT (not same place as service).
> Since servicing I've noticed on starting the engine and pulling away that
> when I reach a certain road speed (normally shortly after changing up from
> first to second gear) there is a clunk. The noise does not then re-occur
> until I've switched the engine off and back on and start to pull away again.
> Any suggestions would be welcome.

Andy

Thanks goodness for your post.
I have scouted the internet for hours trying to find the reason for the thumping noise on my 2007 Mazda3. As you said it would only pop the noise when moving from standing after the engine was started. Speed has to reach about 20km per hour. Same issue while reversing. It only sounded once and will not pop the noise again until the engine is off and restart. The noise appear to be in the engine compartment. I can drift for a long while at low speed, if below 20km without the noise popping.
I will put it down to ABS, Thanks Alan

Cheers

Tony