Old December 4th 13, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

Default Slower traffic: keep one lane left of the right lane

On 2013-12-03, Dave Head > wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 07:22:08 -0800, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
> wrote:
>
>>I state that slower traffic should keep one lane to the left of the right
>>lane on any road with three or more lanes in one direction.
>>
>>The reasons are because the rightmost lane often becomes exit only or there
>>is a lane reduction closing the right lane anyway. Then slower traffic has
>>to merge into faster traffic anyway.
>>
>>Discuss.

> This is the "correct", although maybe not strictly legal to drive
> these roads.

it's not. It's typical american patch to treat symptoms of other
problems and thus creating more problems.

> Keeping totally to the right, this stuff happens:
>
> 1) Everyone else that merges into traffic when entering such a roadway
> does so at 45 mph. You either have to brake, or move left anyway.

They shouldn't be doing that. Fix this problem instead of creating
another.

> 2) If you want to move left, there is always some moron that has
> caught up to you and slowed down so as to occupy your blind spot
> forever. Eventually you are going to miss one of them and then not
> "miss" them, and you are all going to end up into a frappin' light
> pole...

Again, another problem that should be dealt with instead of patched
over.

> The right lane is for merging onto and exiting from a 3-or-more lanes
> wide expressway, no matter what the (antiquated) laws say.

No it's not for "merging and exiting". It's for driving.

> Driving is about survival, not obeying laws.

In north america it's about laziness. One lazy driver after the other
creating an unworkable situation as they all try to pass the required
effort of the task on to others. The merger expects others to avoid so
he passes the work on to the drivers in the right lane. The drivers in
the right lane don't want to do it so they cruise one lane further left
passing on the effort to faster traffic.... just passing the buck,
kicking the can... laziness. And people wonder why there is so much
traffic congestion.