Old January 15th 13, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

Default TFrog, RIP

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:13:35 PM UTC, dwight wrote:
> A note, to anyone who remembers, that I am now out of the Mustang world. For
>
> one of the rare moments in my adult life, I am without a Mustang.
>

> Both of my '93 5.0s have been in maintenance mode for the last 10 years or
>
> so. I really didn't want to sink a lot of money into either one, but tried
>
> to keep them in decent enough running condition to meet my requirements.
>
> Lately, the frequency of calls for tow trucks has accelerated (I have two
>
> different tow truck operators on speed dial), as old parts continued to
>
> fail. In fact, I was having replacement parts replaced.
>

> CFrog, the GT convertible, went into the shop for another fuel pump
>
> replacement. Meanwhile, the right side tailpipe fell off of TFrog, the LX
>
> hatch. When I was crawling underneath to try and wedge the tailpipe into a
>
> drivable position, I saw cancer - a good bit of rust in spots I never
>
> normally look at. For the first time, both Mustangs were in the shop at the
>
> same time.
>

> There had been days when I asked myself why I was hanging onto these cars..
>
> Normally, as soon as I got one back from the shop, I knew full well why I
>
> kept them. Especially TFrog, with its 5-speed manual, the car that never
>
> failed to make me grin. But the long, slow decline made me go in a
>
> completely different direction.
>

> On November 10, 2012, I dumped BOTH Mustangs at the local Ford dealership
>
> and picked up a 2013 Focus S sedan. Some would say that I took a beating on
>
> the trade-ins, I would say that I instantly saved a boatload of money.
>

> There were three overriding factors in killing off the Mustangs:
>
> 1. Winter was coming, and any snow usually meant that the Mustangs stayed
>
> home.
>
> 2. Gas was $3.75/gallon. When it was $2.00 or maybe even $3.00, my 17mpg
>
> wasn't a problem.
>
> 3. Money was needed for both Mustangs, probably more than the book value of
>
> either. I could no longer justify the expense.
>

> After two months, this new Focus has given me a lifetime average of 30mpg..
>
> And, even though I have a clean driving record, I had been paying a V8
>
> penalty in auto insurance for the Mustangs. With the savings at the pump and
>
> the savings on insurance, the Focus amounts to a "free car." Also, it's a
>
> three-year lease*, which means no repair bills, no tow trucks, and I
>
> probably don't have to worry about tires or brakes (until possibly the third
>
> year).
>

> For Patrick - I wanted a black Focus, base model, no options. The dealership
>
> actually had two, but both had one option - Ford SYNC. I took one, anyway..
>
> Immediately, I had to modify - the car came with 15" wheels and plastic
>
> wheel covers; I ordered a set of actual wheels to replace them (even though
>
> it's a lease, I couldn't live with plastic wheel covers). The car has no
>
> cruise control (an option), and although it has power windows up front, it
>
> has window cranks in the back.

> [...]

Sorry to hear about the Mustangs... completely understandable though! As for the Focus... did you look at the ST? I picked one up in October... OMG! This thing is a blast! While not as fast as our Flex is on the straight aways, the ST is great in the corners!

Glad you are digging your new Focus though... they are a lot cooler than when they were first introduced so many years ago... LOL