Old July 9th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default Civic lug studs

On 07/09/2012 12:18 PM, wrote:
> jim > wrote:
>> those so-called "impact drivers" are little better than screwdrivers -

> The 30 year old one that I misplaced didn't transmit any torque last time I
> used it. It was just a big convenient handle for me to twist while banging
> on the screw. As I recall, I never used it against any bearings.
>
>> i have to ask, and i'm not trying to diminish the worthiness of diy
>> repair, but if you observed that "There is not enough room between the
>> hub and the bearing housing to get anything in there", why did you
>> proceed to punch the stud? would the fact that the old one didn't have
>> clearance to be removed not have tipped you off to the possibility of
>> insertion of a new one being similarly challenged?

> The scheme expressed on the DIY web was that the old one would make it's
> way out, and the new one would have to have a portion of the head ground
> off to fit back in. Punching the stud was a worthless endeavor, and I knew
> it. My DIY was a lot more worthy in the past. I have rebuilt piston and
> rotary motors, and did some impressive parking lot repairs, but that was
> long ago, before I found it more convenient to have someone else do the
> work for me.
> Disk pads is about the only thing I've done in several years, because the
> price is so outrageous compared to the amount of labor.

agreed.

you could still do this stud if you're prepared to cut out a hole in the
disk's splash guard. they're not structural, and once the stud is
replaced, you can duct tape [or better yet, sticky aluminum tape] over
the hole to cover it again. that way, no additional expense or new
bearings.

>> sounds like you need to disassemble the hub. be prepared to replace the
>> bearing at the same time. double row ball bearings like this, once
>> fitted, won't reassemble without damage. better to do it as part of the
>> stud job than have to come back to it a couple of weeks from now and
>> disassemble the hub a second time.

> That sounds like a recording from the shop. ;-)

well, it's the truth, although their motivation for telling you might be
slightly different from mine.

> I'm going to take the knuckle off and down to him for pressing, and replace
> the bearing and four studs. If I do this one day on the other side, I
> don't think I'll even bother to take those two screws out to get the disk
> off. I'll just haul it down to him as part of the knuckle.

look into the splash guard hole if money is an issue.

--
fact check required